13 November 2008

Espanola, carcass and critters



This is Sandy. Sandy tends bar at a little place called Red's Steak House & Espanola Lounge in, surprise, Espanola New Mexico. A long and spectacular day spent in Apache National Forest lead me to stopping for dinner at this, from the outside, nondescript place. Inside it was warm, wonderful, inviting and another example of the great people in this country. Sandy "pried" out of me that I was passing a birthdate which resulted in this extraordinary piece of carrot cake and an unforgettable serenade, by Sandy, of Feliz Cumpleanos. There are, indeed, good days on this planet.





La Ventana Arch, El Malpais National Forest, NM...just another one of those places that I was noticed while driving along. I just can't keep pace with the sights.



I chose to spend most of the day today, 11/13/08, in Apache National Forest. A conversive man at the general store told me the forest was running rich in elk and that I should be careful on my hikes. I was in the forest for 6-7 hours and along one trail this is the elk I discovered....or at least I think it was an elk.



Camel Rock Monument, Santa Fe, NM I saw a sign that read Camel Rock, took the exit, had no idea what I was looking for, then the sky lit on fire and the camel reared his massive and daunting sandstone head.



Antelope? Deer? Elks in training? I don't know, but they were interested in why I was pulling over and fumbling, as usual, with my camera.

1 comment:

danajay said...

Hey guy --- what awesome pics! So glad to hear from you -- figured out how to blog you -- look out! So when do you turn '21' -- i hope i didn't miss it! have a great day - safe travels! d