10 November 2008

Small towns and hospitality



Sometimes, when a van is out of service and the local campgrounds are closed, I found it best just to bunk in the car. Not terribly comfortable, but not too bad either. Warm, dry, safe from critters.



This is the charming mountain town of Ouray, named for an historical local native chief. It is right on the north side of Red Mountain Pass which I could not cross. I did not want to forget how nice the town was.





This is the laundromat in Silver City New Mexico where I cleaned my clothes and received permission to camp in my car for the night. What service. I was on my way to the Cliff Dwellings in Gila National Forest when I read a big sign that read: "Road and Area Closed after 4pm - 2 hour drive" It was 3:30 so I turned around and will venture up that mountain tomorrow. Tonight, laundry, cozying in the car.




Another town I do not want to forget is Creede Colorado. This picture is the entire town. I stopped there on Halloween night and everything was crammed from 6-8 as the entire town is the trick or treat run, every business, every restaurant....all 10 of them. The people were wonderful and accepted that my costume was that of a grizzled traveler.

No comments: