07 November 2008

White Sands NM


A strange place, really, in the middle of a brown and red and scrub desert there is White Sands New Mexico.






After Leaving Telluride and the Lizard Head Pass I stayed off the main roads and crossed through towns like Saw Pit, Rico, Dolores River, Cortez, Towaoc, Four Corners, Shiprock, Toadlena, Newcomb, Sheep Springs, Tohotchi, Naschitti, Grants, Quemodo, Pie Town, Datil, Magdalena, Socorro, San Antinio, Carizozo, Tularosa and Alamagordo and I ended up for the night at White Sands.

The country is, again, just so, so big. The long stretches of desert drives are full of silence and solitude, and lots of life and wildlife. I found the little country markets (or trading posts) where I stopped for gas as fascinating as the landscape itself. I also found that if the camping is $29 dollars and it is 12 degrees outside and the local, very simple, motel is $39 dollars then it is a better choice to, for me, pick the motel for that night.

I don't know who created all of this, and who is charge of all of this destiny.

No comments: