21 November 2008

wind, santa fe trail, tractors and lunch



I got a call from friend Al R. today and he asked me where I was. I told him I was in Kansas and he joked that I should watch for the tumbleweeds. I told him they were blowing everywhere. About an hour later this big dude blew in front of my van and stuck under the bumper. It was not like hitting a deer but it dragged along under the bumper until I pulled over. Great prediction Al.



Brother Dennis is always in the market for tractors. A guy at this lot said I could have this one for $25 bucks if I could take it with me. Sorry Dennis.



7-10 miles a day from St. Louis to Santa Fe. Wow. This is a photo of a preserved section of the Santa Fe Trail. I will have completed more than 14,000 miles on this journey in something like 50 days, and I have been in or on motorized vehicles the entire time. I just can't fathom what is was like to travel 1,000 miles in 100 days, in this ripping wind, with unfriendly, albeit rightfully, natives all around.




This squirrel shared my lunch with me at this rest area in Kansas. I gave him a turkey bone with some meat left on it. He accepted and ran off with the bone. Then I wondered if it was dogs or squirrels who can't have turkey or chicken bones. This guy seemed to know exactly what to do with the food. Poor dogs, somebody a long time ago decided they can't eat turkey or chicken and now the squirrels have all the advantages.

About turkey. I think the two best traveling foods for me on this trip have been cooked turkey and hard boiled eggs. I cooked a very large bird at friend Steve's in Vail and it has lasted day after day. Same with the eggs. Refrigeration is easier in colder weather, but I still found a way to keeps some food cold in a cooler for most of the trip. Add a lot of water, some cold milk and some peanut butter, lots of fruit, and sunflower seeds for me it is a great way to travel.

I did treat myself to some Chinese food tonight, Friday Nov. 21 because, well just because.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You missed your chance at being world famous. You should have bought that tractor and driven it home.