20 November 2008

Pikes Peak



The drive up and down Pike's Peak is, I believe, every bit as spectacular as the summit. This was a shot looking down on the road I just drove, slowly, looking for sheep, and with great care.



Another road shot. This was ascending Pike's Peak at about 13,000 feet and it really, really liked the road went off into the sky. Of course I took it, did drive into the sky, had a glimpse of peace, then returned to the journey.



I could just not get enough of Pike's Peak Highway.


Eventually I made it to the summit, though admittedly in a warm car and with none of the staggering effort it must have taken, and must still take, to walk this summit.



Once I was at an altitude above the lower clouds the tops of surrounding peaks began to look like islands. It was not eerie, but instead celestial.

Tomorrow, Friday November 21, I leave the great, great, great Rockies and head east to the plains of Kansas. I always knew, and am now ever more convinced, why people are drawn to this mountain range that covers many states endless miles. I lost track of how many passes I crossed, or did not cross as I was turned back by weather, but I will be back to the Rocky Mountains.

e

1 comment:

My Life said...

The Pikes Peak shots leave me without a word to do them justice in trying to describe how impressive they are ... I can see why you want to revisit the Rockies.