09 November 2008

Ride north from Nogales-- sun, sand, wind, lightning


As this great day of riding wound down, the winds in the desert started to pick up, as did the sand. Then the sky started to get dark and cloudy. If not for the fact that I was driving very fast on a back country road I think it would have been just awesome. Well, it actually was awesome. The wind started blowing so hard it created a dust/sand kind of storm (which is well cautioned in signs along the road). At one point I stopped in a gulch kind of underpass kind of thing to see if it was going to get worse---I don't know storms in these parts. Then some just plain out impressive lightning started to streak the clouds. It did not rain, and I eventually decided to plow ahead in the wind and sand, which turned out to be fun except for the stinging. I did manage to pull out my camera for a shot of the darkening sky full of wind/dust/sand with lightning bursts. And again, if I had any idea how to use this camera it would be a great photo. All good! I think I saw a bumper sticker once that read "I would rather ride in bad weather, than drive in good" or it read "I would rather be fishing than working" or it read "I don't want nobody who don't want me" (actually I heard Deione Sanders say that last one the other day and just liked it. At any rate, I like them all, riding best.

No comments: