28 October 2008

Another great campsite, Mt. Hualapai, Mojave AZ




I think, I hope, the eagle back in Thunder Bay Canada has made peace with me. I was setting up my campsite tonight when I noticed these two deer close by. It is more than likely that they were attracted by the fresh vegetables that I was cutting up for some camp stew. I don't care why, they came closer, stood for minutes, hours? and I held out carrots and they approached. It gets no better than seeing, event touching, wild animals who are gentle animals. I will sleep well tonight, unless these deer let the word out to the other critters that I have fresh vegetables in the camp.


Driving across the desert I saw this peak, then I saw a road sign that read Hualapai Mountain State Park -- camping permitted. I was very happy. The state park is 6,400 feet above the desert and I watched the temperature drop from 89 to 64 in the course of a 5 mile climb. Then I got to the site, there was nobody there but me, and these wonderful deer who have gladdened my heart.


While strolling in the desert I did not see too much wildlife, but then I saw evidence of why I might not have seen too much wildlife.
Wednesday morning 10/29/08, at sunrise for sure, I head to Chinle AZ to see the Chelly National Monument then to Moab UT to visit Arches National Park. I need to remember to get a pumpkin.

2 comments:

My Life said...

Madden,

I'm glad you had the experience with the deer .. such beautiful animals .. I'm jealous. I think you will be duly impressed with Canyon De Shelly .. check out the pronunciation of De Shelly .. not as it is spelled .. I think it maybe French in origin .. sounds like it .. sleep well tonight, maybe some more gentle creatures will come by tonight and respect your need for sleep. ;)

My Life said...

I meant Canyon De Chelly .. must have been sleep typing ... we actually had snow in the burgh today .. didn't stick though.

:)

If you made it to the Cayon/Monument today .. I hope you enjoyed it, from the photo's I saw, it is breathtaking.