16 October 2008

Tetons and beyond




The Grand Tetons proved once again that every time I think I am impressed, it is only until the next site that it happens again. These mountains are stark against the sky and very jagged. The sun broke through the fog periodically, but not, I don't think, while I was shooting, or I can blame it on my battery eating, though so far dependable, little camera.

The first 20 miles of Roosevelt Parkway into the Tetons is under construction. There is quite a wait as only a few cars at a time are permitted to pass, and even then I had to follow this "pilot truck."

While I was waiting I offered this flagman an oatmeal bar. He graciously declined, but I did notice that was eyeballing a bologna sandwich that was sitting on the dashboard. I did not offer him the sandwich. Hope that is not bad karma.

It is Thursday afternoon, October 16th. My odometer indicates that I have now traveled over 4,ooo miles. What a ride. Chris G. I come to realize that Jerry Johnson Springs are indeed in Idaho, but way up north in Montana where I was two days ago. Next Trip.

I am in Jackson Hole Wyoming this afternoon about to turn west and depart this great, great part of the country. My next destination is a place called Craters of the Moon, ID. Problem is there don't seem to be any routes from here to get there. No matter I will get there. I am heading in the general direction of Redwood National Forest in Northern California.

Let's see, let me summarize the first 4 thousand miles. I came looking for peace, it is out here. I came looking for serenity, it is out here. I came to see America, it is out here. So, in a word.....Ah!

2 comments:

Hank said...

In case you weren't aware, "tetons" is the french origin for the american slang expression for breasts.

French Explorers, after months in the wilderness with men and furries, thought the pointed mountains were big tits in the sky.

Anonymous said...

How bad did the underside of that buffalo smell?

Squish