12 October 2008

Mt. Rushmore


Mt. Rushmore is impressive to be sure, but I don't like it. From 1927 to 1941 hundreds, maybe thousands, of workers spent endless hours raping caricatures into the side of a pretty mountain. Nobody asked the mountain. And now, all these years later, the approach to the monument is filled with gift shops, official true story shops, more trinkets from the previously mentioned petrified everything shop, and lots of coffee with complicated names. The park seems well managed, but it is like a mall. There is parking for thousands, and steps, and concession stands, and elevators, and sound systems. I am sure I needed to stop and see this, because Michael Madden said I should, and I guess I am glad I did. Oh, it was pretty cool when the lights came on.

The "lighting" event was recommended to me by new friend Mike, who is a friend of friend Steve F. who told me to call this guy for night of accommodations. Host Mike was ever hospitable and I am writing this evening from a really cool apartment attached to a massive horse barn. Good call Steve.

Michael Madden is now on probation from any more "must see" recommendations.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have suggestion. Go see the hollywood sign. Or find george clooney. or something cool with sam in it or on it.


be safe doc!

Julia said...

that's so weird I wouldn't have thought that it was like that

Anonymous said...

I thought Michael Madden was ALWAYS on probation!
Jeanette


PS - Yes, Mount Rushmore has become very commercialized - I remember it before all of the coffee shops. I should have told you to stop by the still-in-production Crazy Horse monument. Perhaps you saw it.

And, why were the deer lying down...because they were tired!
:)

Anonymous said...

who is the Marine by the monument?