06 October 2008

Some early midwestern states

October 6, 2008 PA, WV, OH, IN, IL

Leaving Western PA I was struck more by the number of fast food joints on the highway than any other thing. Wow, they come every few miles. I stopped at Cabelas Outfitters in Wheeling, WV because, well, just because it seemed like a place to stop and look for supplies. Given that I am being careful to save every dollar for gas, I mostly window shopped.

I did see a truck driver today, I think it was on I-80 west, and he was, at the same time, drinking a Mountain Dew, smoking a cigar, and talking on his cell phone. By my count that was 4 things he was doing with 2 arms. I passed him.

South of Indianapolis I passed a corn field that was bigger than Ghana. Between the crops from just that one field, and the cows in nearby fields, I wondered if there was enough methane and ethynol to power a state.

It turns out this is a great time to drive through this part of the country if you want to see harvesting. All of the fields were busied by massive combine machines cutting down corn, or wheat, or some other crop....or plowing under the remains of already cut plants. It made me think, like we all do, what it would be like to be a farmer on one of those machines, in one of those great fields, day after day, week after week, year after year....then I was glad I was in a car going by.

I ended this leg in Channahon IL to visit my cousins and lodge with cousins Rick and Cindy. I was glad to notice that the leaves are changing right on target and I think I should see some spectacular foliage in the next few weeks.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

On the theme of large fields, when you get to southern Minnesota, look south. You will see one huge corn field and that will be Iowa. I believe because that state is so flat you can actually see the entire state from Minnesota. (sorry if you are from Iowa, I just offended you)

JW from NC said...

It was actually 5 things if you count what that truck driver was doing below your line of site