22 October 2008

Campfire gourmet



I am not necessarily afraid of all of the wildlife out here, though when I approached this little harmless looking squirrel he did not budge and had the look of a, well, bear, in his eyes. Using my now standard protocol I lightly threw a little stick at him and he did not budge. Critters are tough in the Sierras.



Mountain Pass road. 10 mph



This is the General Sherman Sequoia. 3200 years old and asserted to be the largest tree on the planet. I don't know if I was more impressed by the size of the age. It is not hard to cipher that this park was created shortly after the Civil War, hence the trees are named for winning generals and the road is called Generals Highway. It is good to win.



Before the aforementioned bear sighting I was preparing a gourmet meal....now that I think of it, this feast was probably what drew the bear to my camp. I bought this fresh meat at a small shop at the foothills. It is either beef, bison, bear, pork, antelope, cantelope, tofu, elk or deer. Whatever it was, it cooked very nicely, with a side complement of campfire potato, and will last me several days. I don't know why, but it is proven, everything tastes better over a campfire.


Oops, not one of my better decisions on this journey.