11 October 2008

Canada, Minnesota


It was well worth taking the extra time and miles to make it to Thunder Bay, Ontario. The drive along Lake Superior was, well, superior. Then at Thunder Bay I turned left (west) and drove 300 miles on a back country highway that had no signs, no gas stations, and only nature and trees. It was just beautiful. I crossed back into the US at Fort Frances / International Falls. The border guard had little sense of humor and seemed suspicious of my trip. He opened all of the doors of the van, and was even more confused by the now very organized camp I had set up in the back. He made me retell my potential route and timeline. I guess it did not help that I looked like a bad guy.
After International Falls I started searching for a camp site. In Big Fall, MN I found cozy campground on the Little Fork River. It was pouring rain, but not hard enough to stop me from lighting a great fire. I slept like rock in the van, under the steady rain.
It took some serious willpower to cross back over the border from Canada. Actually, it took more than will power. If not for some great family and friends back on this side of the border, I think I would have kept driving north. All kinds of adventure and new horizons up there. But, I did cross back over, found my campground, and found a small tavern next to it where I had a beer with the 6-7 other patrons in the place, all of whom had there hunting guns as grouse season opened that day.

No comments: