09 October 2008

Mississippi at Minneapolis Minnesota


Wow, a mouthful of M's (Mississippi, Minneapolis, Minnesota). I was impressed at just how narrow and calm the 'Ole Man River is this far north. I was testing the depth of the river when this beagle decided I wanted to play fetch. It helps that this part of the river is one of the largest "off-leash" parks in existence. I could not hold the camera steady enough to get a good shot of the trees, but the colors are coming fast. I had to remember that this is the same river that builds as it flows and has the power to, and has, flood large parts of entire states. This was a beautiful drive. I was hosted by a great friend Mike Moore. What Mike did not tell me was that on the same day I was visiting he was about to propose to his wonderful Lisa. Now, what in the hell was I doing there on "proposal" day. Luckily I had planned to head north towards Lake Superior so I was safely not in the way of this great event. I assume, by the time of this posting, that he made his pitch and was successful. Congrats Mike and Lisa....glad I was passing through. This evening I made my north of Duluth to the shores of Superior. Really spectacular. As I arrived after dark, and given that everywhere I tried to pull over was marked with signs stating the local ordinances against overnight camping, I landed in a tiny little motel (hotel, no-tel) on the lakes edge. This is perfect as I plan to be up at first light to drive a hundred miles or so of the shore before turning west.
--scm

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of the minivan....aren't you the one who had the van that had to be duck-taped when it was used to visit me in Maryland? Vans are not new to you!
smiles, have fun, and be safe, needless to say!

Emily said...

Awe, where did the dog come from? Did you bring him along--you know that I had to ask about this! Be safe and enjoy the ride.

Anonymous said...

hey what the heck happened to the car. I would have sold you my blue truck well Drews truck. Miss ya Fran and I just finished a bottle of SKYY!!!!! Have a great trip. Did you happen to go thru Land O Lakes WI I have vacationed there 4 times - what a beauty XOXOXO Jenn and Kate