12 October 2008

Badlands





The Badlands are spectacular, though I was shocked to find out that it cost $20 to drive through a national park. I hiked a bit on a trail and came across the rattlesnake sign. Since I am certain that the eagle from back in Canada has put the word out to cows and other animals attack me, I cut the hike short.
The drive from the Badlands towards Rapid City and Mt. Rushmore is beautiful, but littered to fault with signs for "Family Attractions" such as petrified gardens, old west towns, tomahawks, petrified cows, the national museum of woodcarving, the true story cafe of Wounded knee and caves "like no other" At some points I could not see the landscape except for the signs. It was truly junked out.
The Park Ranger was very nice and agreed to pose for a photo. Thanks Ranger Lady.
If you look close at one of the pictures you will see a very black deer. Having little luck with wildlife this far, I decided to get no closer. How do I know what that eagle has sent out.

-scm

2 comments:

g as in string said...

if you like the badlands, glacier will blow you away. a massive slab of undercrust busted up and thro, sliding for eighty miles and forming one of the most stunningly carved mountain ranges in the world. DRIVE HIGHWAY TO THE SUN. also, two medicine lake on east side of park is spectacular.
im proud of you grasshopper...

Anonymous said...

"Seeing as how I am such a badass, I thought that it was necessary that I stopped"