22 October 2008

bear camping




The perfect campsite, in Azalia, Sequoia National Park. Either the rangers or the previous campers left a wonderful stack of firewood, great if you are a pyro. Everything was shaping up, a nice few days in the tent with plenty of wood....then I noticed this rather large black bear in the tree behind my camp. He was eating leaves, or nuts, or some kind of tree fruit, or just preparing to eat a camper later in the evening. I know it is against the rules, but I did try to scare him away and I even through a little stick at him. He was entirely unimpressed and gave me a look that I am certain meant "you have got to be kidding me punk." I slept in the van for the next two nights!


1 comment:

My Life said...

If you only knew how badly I've wanted to see a bear .. I hope I have the sense to be afraid of one when I do ... :) You are so fortunate to be on this your present journey .. enjoy every second.