12 October 2008

Grandpa Angel House



Thanks to good looking Cousin Jeanette I found Grandpa Angels house on Fifth street, at the railroad tracks. I have inside information that it has changed quite a bit, but this is it. After I found the house I walked down the street and noticed a church, with mass in session. I decided to attend mass, what with it being a pretty Sunday morning and all. Near the end of the service I made eye contact with the young man helping with the readings....I was an altar boy captain for years at St. Denis after all. I asked him if he would ask the priest to add to his announcements that a visitor was in town who was the grandson of Angel Eleff. Judging by the age of the congregation, I was sure somebody knew him. The priest eyed me up from his throne, then stood up, read all of his announcements, most of which were about how well he was serving the parish and that he was proud of his financial record, and that there was a pancake breakfast, and that he was looking at new cars, and that he was pleased that people were bringing him gifts and inviting him to holiday dinners. Then he eyed me up again, right there in the front pew, and moved on to announce the end of the mass and the recessional hymn.
As we were leaving the church the young man who tried to help me came up to me and apologized that he could no help. He asked the name again. As I said Angel Eleff 3 elder church ladies whooped and came up to me and asked what I was looking for. The first lady assured me, don't ya know, that Angel had died somewhere way back east some time ago. I told them I was his grandson and they were wonderful. All three had purchased wood knicknacks from him and they started to describe the items. The priest caught wind of the conversation and came over to shake my hand and congratulate himself for helping me. He was just not willing to share any of his important announcement time. Good deals on new cars with parish discount this week, don't ya know.
The ladies were wonderful, told me I had found the right house (re-inside information above).
I gently an respectfully scowled at the priest and was on my way after a successful visit.

Oh, brother Dennis will have to confirm, but I think that is the chicken house where he and cousin Little Donnie got into yards of trouble and were grounded into the back of Uncle Georges, RV.

-scm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, this is good-looking cousin Jeanette, and yes, I am sure that house has changed. I started visiting Grandpa Angel in that house at the age of 3 mos! and every other year after that. The last time I was in Mobridge was when I was 16, and I will not say how many years ago that was.
But Sean, I am so glad you looked up the house. It secured my feelings of wanting to go back to South Dakota, for I have very fond memories. Did you go to the Sitting Bull monument? I remember it as only one stone, and now they have finally given him the recognition he deserved by a much larger monument.
I never had to stay in the back of Uncle George's camper (my father) but I did have to sit on Grandpa Angel's bench while a mouse poked his head out of a hole in the back of the bench....between me and my mother! I remember the neighbor ladies making the best homemade blueberry cobbler too. Too bad I could not remember the names of family or friends out there.
Continue to have a great time cousin.
Jeanette (the good looking one)

Anonymous said...

I almost forgot,
"hooo... hooo......"
Smiles,
Jeanette