29 October 2008

Canyon de Chelly, Chinle AZ


More modern version of the Hogan, which I learned is a traditional Navajo living and ceremonial building. Just about every house in the massive Navajo reserve, I think it is called Navajo Nation, has one of these on the property.


More traditional version of the Hogan, but this one was retro built as an example for people like me with cameras.


Canyon de Chelly in Chinle AZ. The actual name of the place is Tse'yi' which, again I learned, is a Navajo word that means rock canyon. Apparently when it is said in Navajo is pronounced something like Chelly, which is the word Spanish explorers gave it. I know so little.


The canyon is way in the middle of the desert, but it has a river and it is very fertile and lush. What a cool place to live.


And, I learned, Navajo natives lived there a thousand years ago. In the center of this picture, against the wall and on the floor of the canyon, is a house carved out of rock.

No comments: