26 October 2008

Nogales to Tucson





I spent most of Sunday in Nogales. I think it is a charming town and I had no problems and I went everywhere I was not supposed to go and I thought it was very quiet and quaint...then I came to the border crossing and the US Customs Agent pulled me over and asked me where I was and what I was up to. He readily accepted my "Follow the Comet" story and then asked me if I wondered why Nogales was so quiet. Of coure I did not. It turns out the Nogales Mexico is on a military lock down because of a drug gang shoot out this past Thursday...and here I thought there was just good parking everywhere. As has been the seredipitous nature of my travels worldwide, accompanyied with my general look of a criminal, I had no problems. And all of this was just before I was going to write how much different Nogales seemed that Tijuana, to me. The customs agent, expressing his opinion only, argued that the Nogales/Tucson drug pipeline is a real problem for this border crossing. What do I know.

I am heading, in general, to the Grand Canyon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I write on Nogales and have never even been there. It used to not even have a fence, being separated only by the median strip of a road. When the Mexican government tried to get the local schools there to celebrate Mexican holidays (this is in the late 1920s) they only agreed to do so if they could also celebrate U.S. holidays. My guess is that it is much more divided today.

Andrae

Anonymous said...

"they only agreed to do so if they could also celebrate U.S. holidays."

Huh??????