18 October 2008

Unknown, to me Oregon







All I knew today is that I was driving towards Boise Idaho to cross into Oregon, on the way to Redwood CA. And now I am running out of adjectives. The route I ended up taking crossed the bottom of Oregon (US 20) in an area that I now know as the "Oregon Outback" US 20 follows river and creek valleys for 150 miles, gently changing altitudes from 1,000 to 5,000 feet. It was staggering. I eventually ended up Crater Lake, where I found this cool little cabin to regroup for the next leg. In between were hundreds, no thousands, no millions of acres of high desert sage bush. I drove 40 miles between two ranches, one of which was a tiny trailer with a big "keep out, no photos" sign painted on a piece of plywood. I obeyed.

The route included Fremont and Winema National Forests.

I did find one interesting town on this route, Wagontire Oregon, population 3. I stopped and went into the little store, but it seems the whole town was away today.

I found this little cabin to spend the night. If I find lodging that is about the same price as camping, I pick lodging every few nights.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well it's uh -- 8 o'clock in Boise, Idaho. It is always 8 o'clock in Boise, Idaho.