22 October 2008

Beautiful Sequoia



This bear was tagged, I am certain because of his frequent visits to local campgrounds to harass people trying to sleep in tents. I could not help but think of the Farside cartoons. I did not get out of the car, or get any closer to him, figuring that the red tag did not mean that he was friendly.


The is a Sequoia named General Grants National Monument. It is big and I was impressed.







Who would not want to try to take a run at 7,000 feet. As I was climbing this trail a runner came up behind me, fast. Her name was Kaylee, or Kalie, or Caley, or Courtney, or Cassandra, or something. As she passed me she asked me if I was ok, always a good sign. I told her I was fine and asked her to shoot a photo for the archive in case I did not finish the climb. When I got the camera back she scurried off ahead before I could take a shot. She was maybe 20, and running ridiculously to fast at this altitude and slope. Oh well, I made it to the top, eventually, and walked back down.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good call on the bear. I think, if last time the bear met a human, he got a tag stuck through his ear - well probably he doesn't have fond memories of the experience. But then I don't have pierced ears so perhaps I have a biased view of this...