23 October 2008

LA and San Diego



Back to the wonderful pacific coast. There are few better drives in America than US 1.


I have always wondered why in the east it is called pollution and in California it is called Smog. I think eastern United States needs to come up with a better word....better even than smog, or blog.



It is not hard to figure out what the big issues are in various states by just following the stickers on cars and trucks. In California I saw hundreds, maybe thousands of signs and stickers urging votes Yes and No on Proposition 8. Proposition 8 discusses legalizing gay marriage. I have not determined yet, what a Yes means and what a No means, but it is a hot issue just by the number of cars/drivers showing interest.




I have spent all of my professional life in education and I have never figured out the answer to this riddle. If as many kids are honor students in as many schools as are advertised on bumper stickers on cars throughout the country, then why is American education in such a bad way? Something is not adding up.


It is a lovely and beautiful city, but I know of no other city on earth where traffic is like it is in LA. Not the Kennedy in NYC, not the Ryan in Chicago, not anywhere. It is just its own animal. I planned on crossing south through LA on a random, quiet Thursday morning, at 10am. What could be easier, then I hit the wall on I5. I think it is just what it is.

No comments: