14 October 2008

When it Snows it Snows Early




I think this was pretty cool. I was driving along minding my own business and I saw these signs about a closed mountain pass ahead. The first snow storm of the season hit Montana/Wyoming in a big way. It forced me to drive 100 miles around the mountain and end up in Cody Wyoming, which is all good because it is a charming town. I found a laundry mat to re-group, and then a buffalo burger in a bar called the Silver Dollar Saloon....go figure. At the saloon I met Allan. He came up to me at the bar and said...."you look like a trucker, a biker or a cowboy, can I sit here"
After I laughed I told him I was none of the three, but an escaped convict. He then proceeded to tell me that he was on leave from Ft. Bragg, a 24 year army guy, 82nd Airborne, 3rd Armored Division (which he said with such conviction that I remembered this easily). He is also a full blood Navajo from a reservation in Arizona. He said he left the reservation because it is living hell, food stamps, poverty, crime, no alcohol allowed. I thought it was interesting that this dude volunteered this information with me not saying a word. Life is interesting.

Also, in the laundry tonight, as I was sitting minding my own business reading the Nelson Mandela "Long Walk to Freedom" which everyone should read at some point, a guy came up to me and starting telling me about his laundry, and his life. He said he saw the Pittsburgh on the shirt I was wearing....then he told me he was from Philadelphia and came out here 5 years ago after a nasty divorce war...winking at me he said he was hiding out, living in a truck and staying off the radar. Jesus, why did this guy come up to me? This is too funny for me to make up.
I told him I had to go get soap, and I drove away, thinking I'll go get my stuff from the drier in a few hours.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Has anyone else seen "these people"?

Anonymous said...

you failed to mention that you talked to me on the phone while you were in the laundry mat, so much for that picture huh?