19 October 2008

San Francisco Bay and "romantic" viewpoint


The Family House on Acacia Street



CA Traffic




Training swimming San Francicso Bay



Implements of romance




Well, I knew I was heading into a big city again when the traffic started to build and slow...and in my limited worldview California traffic is as bad as any on the planet.

This bridge crosses the San Francisco Bay into Oakland. This is the part of the bay that I used to swim as a wee lad...and I used to do it with brother Dennis on my back, and stop at this island half way to do pushups. I swear that is how I remember it. It I knew how to draw on this thing I could mark my birth house in the upper right of one of the photos.

At a scenic overlook into the bay I noticed this strange item on the ground, and many more with it. Apparently this spot is good for more than just looking out into the bay. I made a command decision to not clean up this area.

And, the house that I came home to, at birth, from Oakland Naval Hospital as did brothers Brian, Kevin and Dennis and sister Colleen. I knocked the front door and a man opened the door six inches. The screen door was some of metal with holes that he could see out of, but I could not see it. He said, in a very terse and unfriendly voice: "what do you want." I said I that I had lived in this house from birth to 5 and wanted to maybe take some pictures. He said "NO" and slammed the door. A lady in the house yelled at him and he reopened the door six inches and said "go ahead." I told him the brick front used to be wood and he replied, as he was slamming the door again "a lot of things change." That was the end of the visit. Lord only knows what was going on in that house or why this guy was so inhospitable.

I snapped this shot and headed for Yosemite.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

San Franciscans apparently don't care much for places where people were born. I looked for the house where Joe DiMaggio was born, and I think I passed it, but I'd never know it. Not a single historical marker. Not even an Italian flag painted on the curb.

Julia said...

Doc, You need to keep emailing me the list of the cities you go to before you forget them yourself! Have a good rest of your trip I miss you :)

Anonymous said...

Sean - now that you are in my part of the world, and have to go though it to get to Death Valley, I will be very disappointed if you dont stop by and I will never speak to you again - although, maybe that is your plan. Seriously, plan on making a stop in Orange County - you will enjoy it - but please shower before you arrive at my door!

Scottish Paul

Anonymous said...

Madden give me a shout as well. I've been looking for an excuse to see Paul and it would be nice to see you again. That second photo, of CA traffic... Two buildings north of the A&W that you see on the right of that picture is Marin Diving, where I got scuba certified before I went in the cage with the Great Whites, off the Farralons.

K'a'na'ley

Anonymous said...

DO NOT GO VISIT MACGOOBER. IT IS A TRICK. If by some odd chance you do go please take a picture of his hair. I can only imagine how retarded it looks in the California sun. get a picture of how fat and gross Kanholeany is, too.

Squish

Anonymous said...

This Blog needs a wedding or the introduction of a sassy kid.